Friday, January 28, 2011

F*ckin' Perfect

If anyone has ever been on the UArts blog that I write for my college, you may have noticed that I love the singer and songwriter P!NK (Alecia Moore). Anyone who follows her career or publicity will know that she is expecting a baby in her near future with her husband, Carey Hart. Now, I am not one to inulge in celebrity gossip- ever. I don't like the way they rule our media and/or thoughts, in the slightest. But the truth about P!NK is that she speaks to me on a deeper level than being "famous." In fact, I never liked her for that reason. I liked her because she speaks to girls that the media leaves out in this mass consumption frenzie we engage in. She talks to the girls avoided by Gossip Girl, Jersey Shore, and America's Next Top Model. P!NK is one of the few people who uses her voice to build positive body image, self-respect, and confidence, and she has been this way from the start of her mainstream career.

(P!NK live in Philadelphia, October, 2009)


It used to be that many artists hid the issues in their lives that may be thought of as controversial, such as promiscuity or frequent intoxication. In the mainstream model we see people like Kesha... who had about a million 13 year olds singing her ridiculous "Tik Tok," song within a week of its release. Honestly. "Brush my teeth with a bottle of Jack." That might be the most fucking disgusting woman I have ever seen in my life. But, the beat of the song is catchy and makes a frequent apperance if you're in the club scene, which I sometimes am. P!NK takes the approach that few- appart from another hugely mainstream artist whom I greatly admire: Lady Gaga- do. She shares her problems with the world, in songs like "Leave Me Alone (I'm Lonely)" and "Sober." She's not afraid to put herself out there to be judged. P!NK, unlike Kesha, is a role model. She admits to habits which may be considered taboo or bad by some, and doesn't act like it's the coolest thing ever to be praised and followed, but doesn't say it condemns a person, either. Young woman across the world have openly admitted that they have identified with P!NK from a young age. (To those that identify with Kesha, I wish a talented dentist upon you.)

(P!NK live in Philadelphia, October, 2009) 

In her new single, "F*ckin' Perfect," P!NK speaks to the protagonist of the video, a young woman who doesn't fit in with her classmates, is made fun of, pushed around, thought less of, and ultimately tries to commit suicide after near starving herself to death to be like the "pretty girls." The video ends when she cuts her hair into a short style (not unlike the one P!NK herself sports) and sings to her baby daughter not to think that she is anything less than fuckin' perfect to her. The video is touching, especially knowing the current state of the singer. To anyone who appreciates what she has to say, I recoomend this video, or especially to an expectant mother, who would find it cute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Rax2PXiWA

I have no idea when the singer is due, but I wish her a healthy and happy birth. To the rest of you, don't hesitate to leave me a suggestion of something you'd like me to do some research on and fire up on here for you- or maybe a movie you'd like me to watch and review. Just leave a comment! :)

(P!NK live at UArts Workshop, October, 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment